Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Here I Am" - From Despair to Hope


After years of binge drinking, this alcoholic hit bottom and found a new way of life. Read the true story of her spiritual journey from despair to hope:


 
 Here I am ...
... waking up to terror, bewilderment, frustration and despair.  The intense fear, of complete loss of hope from the confusion of not understanding my ability to change.  The agonizing memories of what I had done the night before, the strain of trying to remember the forgotten hours in between, the pounding pain in my head, the sickening feeling deep in my soul, the shame and regret that I promised myself that the night would be different this time, the hopelessness that there was no help for me.  I used to walk into the bar saying “Here I am” with arms wide open, a drink waiting for me at the bar, a smile for everyone, never-ending conversations with strangers, loud music, dancing, and everyone drunk saying “I love you”, “Can I get you another one”, “You look great” and “See you tomorrow.” 
 


Here I am ...
... drinking at home, pulling all-nighters with my new best friend - Bacardi.  Except now my friend was not giving me the “good time” feeling, telling me everything is great and forget about all that misery in your life ... my friend was attacking me hard and wanted only destruction, sorrow and pain. Alcohol had stopped doing for me what it used to and I was powerless over its control.  My head was full, my heart was empty and I was broken, lost, and scared.  I didn’t want to drink but I couldn’t stop.   I was looking for all my solutions in all the wrong places.  I was sick all the time, I had unexplainable bruises, my skin was a mess, I was gaining weight, I was damaging organs, I was always in dangerous situation and with all these consequences and fears from drinking, all I could ask myself was If I didn’t drink what was I going to be like, how was I going to act, would people still like me, would I still have friends, what would everyone say about me.  My physical and emotional health and safety was not important enough, only my own selfish, egotistically, justifiable means were what was relevant. 
 

 
Here I am ...
... so depressed I called a friend I knew was in the program and said that something’s wrong with me I can’t stop drinking.  We chatted and he told me to find a meeting and go.  In bed that night a soft gently voice whispered in my ear “Remember me”.  I froze, it’s happening, I have finally lost my mind.  For the next six months my drinking was at its worst, but I went back to church, sobbing trying to get through songs, thinking I don’t deserve any help not with all I’ve done, who I’ve become, countless people I have hurt and sins committed beyond any forgiveness.  But I kept going back because it was the only place I felt safe.  I could tell God anything and I prayed … Here I am ... please help me!



Here I am ...
... in a police car, prayers answered … God did for me what I could not do for myself. He found His way to help me.  And so my journey in this program began.  The soft voice I heard six months earlier saying “remember me” I now understood it … For me it was God saying the days ahead will be difficult but “here I am” I have always been with you, remember me!  For the first time in that police car I felt peace, relief, and awareness that someone was with me.  I had no idea what was going to happen next, all I knew and felt was  - it’s finally over!



Here I am ...
... celebrating my 6th year in Alcoholics Anonymous.  Waking up the opposite of how I used to ... safe, calm, satisfied,  joyful, blessed, and grateful.  The list is never-ending.  All this is not possible without my continued contact with God, the A.A. way of life and the group of friends (who are now just like family) who have gone before me to show me the way out of the dark and into the light by doing a few simple, not easy, steps with someone and not alone.  Because as hard as I’m working on staying sober, my disease is working harder to take me back to the misery, the “not yets”, the pain and sadness and eventually death.  This I must remember, to always play the tape through, to never think “I got this”, to stay humble and keep growing and that the blessings come after the obedience.  I walk into meetings instead of bars and find strangers who become friends, coffee waiting instead of a drink, arms wide open with a hug attached, and everyone saying “Keep coming back”, “Don’t quit before the miracle happens”, “We’ll love you until you can love yourself”  and “You never have to feel this way again”.  I’ve learned things like … to tell my problems how big my God is, to get out of the problem and into the solution, faith without work is dead, and so many other motivating sayings.  God gave me the gift of sobriety a gift I cherish and I never want to give this gift back and I don’t have to as long as I don’t take a drink and give back to others what was freely given to me.  Every day there is something new for me to learn, to work on, to let go of, to pass on and I never have to do any of this or anything else alone.  I need to keep coming back and listen, share, learn and feel….I want to keep coming back.  Just like in church, I find the peace, the solution, the unconditional love, the safety every time I walk through the A.A. doors and into a meeting.  In my short time in sobriety I have seen the promises come true in my life.  I have had the honor of raising my daughters, who are wonderful, striving, strong young ladies who know about this disease but most importantly they see the solution.  I have achieved things that seemed impossible like two promotions at my job, putting my daughters through college and living on my own.  That helping someone or giving to someone without being found out is the greatest act of kindness there is.  That self-seeking for me is destruction for everyone around me.  That I can accept what is out of my control knowing that the only one in control is God.  I have even learned to pray for and forgive those I couldn’t have six years ago and that anger has been replaced with compassion.  I don’t have to do any of this perfect, but I do have to keep trying my best to do something because if I’m not moving forward I’m slipping backwards.  And the promises will materialize if I work for them.
 

 
Here I am ...
… a blessed child of God, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, dancer, co-worker, writer, cancer patient and promising survivor, a lady who is not defined by my past but from my actions today, forgiven and forgiving others, a student daily working on myself through the 12 steps of this program and a truly and deeply grateful member of Alcoholics Anonymous. And for those who need to talk, have a desire for this way of life, are willing to go to any length to recover from this disease, and are sick and tired of being sick and tired … Here I am!

~ Ann W., Southern Maryland
 

No comments:

Post a Comment